Friday, May 23, 2014

Stuck in the Mud




This has been a crazy week. You know, a Murphy's Law kind of week. If it could go wrong it did! But today I woke up to a BEAUTIFUL sight. It was raining. We have had less than an inch of rain in our area this year. Our world has seemed bone dry; so as I got in my car and the rain came down, I delighted in the sprinkles. I thought what a perfect day it was and my heart felt happy and joyful. As I got further down the road I remembered a gift that I meant to bring to one of my friends. She has just been given the No Evidence of Disease clearance! I purchased a bracelet for her when she began chemo and have been waiting for just this day to celebrate and give it to her. I quickly made a U-turn to go back and get it. And then it happened. I got stuck in the mud. Awesome. I guess it has been dry so long that I forgot what happened to dirt when mixed with water. Genius. I grabbed my phone and called my husband. No answer. I called my dad. No answer. As people drove by (and trust me, I think half the town drove by -- no way of looking cool there) and I tried to figure out what next, there was nothing to do but laugh. I couldn't curse the mud; I loved the rain. One of the best parts of living in a small town is the goodness of people. Soon three pick-ups had stopped to help me and get me back on my way. As I drove away, I thought about Psalm 40:1-3

“I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me & heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud & mire;
he set my feet on a rock
& gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see & fear
& put their trust in the LORD”
Psalm 40:1-3

Today it was a few good men who got me out of the mud and mire, but God has done so over and over and over. Just about the time I think I am going to be stuck forever, He shows up and sets me on solid ground. He puts a song in my heart and I find joy. Like being stuck today, I have learned not to hate the mud, but to just enjoy the rain. God is good!

3 comments:

  1. Annna-
    I've left comments for you before and never seen them posted or heard back. I'm a thymoma survivor also, in Texas.My email is larkcc11@gmail.com. I'd love to hear from you.
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna-

    Thank you the positive messages. My mother in law is stage 3 and it metastasized from her chest wall to her lung, around her heart, diaphragm and chest wall. She started chemo on Monday, and will have surgery again. I really think your blog will help her and our family to be positive, not only about her condition but our own as well. HE'LL never leave us or forsake us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristie Bee,
    I am so sorry I missed your comment! Somehow it didn't show up in my feed! I would love to have an update on how things are going for you!!!

    ReplyDelete